Promising good close focus capabilities and built-in stabilization, is this the perfect lens for EOS R and RP shooters? Meanwhile on the right is the ageing but popular EF 85mm f1.8 from 1992 which is still selling almost three decades later for around $400 dollars or pounds, making it roughly two thirds the price of the 85 f2 Macro. At $599, the Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM is reasonably priced for a lens with this level of optical prowess and versatility, and I think it’s going to be a very popular lens … Both lenses fall short of delivering 1:1 reproduction, but they will give you 1:2 reproduction or 50% magnification. The rendering between the 85 f2 and 85 1.8 on its right looks quite different with the older model lacking the contrast and bite, but with an attractive softness to its bokeh. Above: The RF 85mm f2 is 78mm in diameter, 91mm long, weighs 500g and has a 67mm filter thread. I mentioned early in this review that the Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L USM Macro Lens has the longest 1:1 macro working distance of any Canon lens. From our tests, the Canon RF 85mm F2 Macro IS STM is a high-transmission lens, measured at T2.2 (just -0.2 EV less than the calculated aperture value). The option to leave the lens in the full AF range makes it as simple to use as point, autofocus, and shoot. Now there may be an issue with my own 85 1.8, but remember it’s almost 30 years older from a time of film SLRs and even a better-behaved sample is unlikely to perform anywhere near as well as a modern lens. The Canon RF 85mm F2 Macro IS STM is an affordable, close-focusing prime for the company's full-frame mirrorless system. This is a full frame lens, available in Nikon and Canon mounts. But, with stabilization built into the lens and the camera body, I was able to shoot sharp photos down to one second. Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM Many lenses allow you to focus to infinity. While all three share similar rendering styles as well as oval-shaped blobs in the corners, it’s unsurprisingly the RF 1.2 on the left that’s delivering the largest blobs when wide-open. Above: The rendering of a lens designed for portraiture is very important, so in my next test I’m going to compare the three lenses for bokeh blobs. Of these three, only the RF 85mm f2 sports optical stabilisation and close focusing. Unlike its older sibling, it’s small, lightweight and, more importantly, far more affordable. Unfortunately, it doesn’t have a direct replacement, yet. Above: As a final comparison, here’s the corners of all three lenses when they’re all wide-open. Closer to the front of the lens is the custom control ring. The super-cheap “Nifty Fifty” EF 50mm f/1.8 STM has long been the default recommendation for a portrait lens for Canon’s DSLRs. This is a full frame lens, available in Nikon and Canon mounts. Remember for the fastest bursts on the R5 and R6 you’ll not only need native RF lenses but also a battery with plenty of charge and on the R5 Wifi disabled too. Also notice the focus fall-off on my beard and hat. In my tests, the top speed I managed on the R5 with the EF 85mm f1.8 was 6.8fps versus the maximum 12fps with the RF 85mm f2. As a budget lens, it’s also not meant for shooting in rain or dust. Announced in July 2020 it’s one of the more affordable lenses in the RF system. While the f2, of course, won’t get the same backgrounds as Canon’s f1.2 lens for the RF mount, considering the lens’s price, the blur is fantastic. All three share a similar rendering style though with none taking the lead on outlining or onion-ringing. Find out in our full review. However, I had to zoom in past 100 percent to really even pick up on the aberration, and so aberration is a non-issue. Updated: Canon RF 85mm F2 Macro IS STM Lens Review I finally got a Canon ET-77 Lens Hood , enabling the standard product images to be added to the Canon RF 85mm F2 Macro IS STM Lens Review . Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM ⭐ review. Meanwhile the standout benefit of the 85 1.2 is of course its much brighter aperture and opportunities for shallower depth-of-field effects. Here’s the RF 85mm f2 wide-open at f2 where it’s of course sharp in the middle as expected, but also impressively crisp right into the far corners – and remember this is wide-open. As a macro lens, the Canon 85mm f2 Macro IS STM has a wider focusing range than most. Canon claims the IS alone is good for five stops, enhanced to eight alongside IBIS on the R5 or R6. For comparison, with the RF 85mm f1.2L on the R5, I achieved four stops of compensation using IBIS alone, but needed a fast shutter on the unstabilised RP. The RF 85mm F2 Macro IS STM is a compact, affordable alternative to the pro-oriented 85mm F1.2L, which can't match the light-gathering power of its costly cousin, but adds optical image stabilization and a handy close-focusing ability. Read on to see how this lens works with model portraits, smooth background … Hands-on Review: Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro Lens with Vanessa Joy. What isn’t supported (at least by the time of this review) is Canon’s Lens Aberration Correction, as the camera shows no data available for the lens. Weighing just over a pound, the lens is relatively lightweight. A Portrait Pick: Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM Canon. Mit seiner 85mm-Brennweite ist das Objektiv ideal für schmeichelhafte Porträtaufnahmen, und der 5-Stufen-Bildstabilisator sowie die Makro-Nahfokussierung tragen zur außerordentlichen Vielseitigkeit bei. Above: You’ve seen how the 85mm f2 compares for portraits and bokeh blobs, but what about distant subjects focused at infinity? Canon RF 100-400mm IS USM This will be a non-L 100-400mm lens. Above: According to traditional definitions, the term Macro should be reserved for lenses that can achieve great 1:1 magnification, reproducing a subject on the sensor at actual size, but while the RF 85mm f2 falls short of this capability, you can still enjoy some very usable and high quality results at 1:2. It's a very versatile lens, doubling up as both a great 85mm prime for portraits and as a 1:2 magnification macro lens. At the more affordable-end, Samyang now offers an 85mm f1.4 with autofocus in the native RF mount for roughly the same price as the Canon 85 f2 Macro, although sadly they weren’t interested in joining this comparison when I asked them. / 78mm x 90.5mm, Image quality is great for the price point, Affordable lens that still delivers solid images. Canon describes this lens as a medium telephoto lens ideal for the causal photographer, street photographer, and budding portrait creator. Unsurprisingly my old EF 1.8 is worst here, but it’s important to remember if your subject is mostly towards the middle, surrounded by a blurry background, then corner sharpness isn’t particularly important. If you own an R5 you can also deploy focus bracketing for stacking in software later. Shooting wide open, you’ll want to use the Rule of Thirds and keep important details away from the edges. That subtle difference simplifies the task of making adjustments without pulling the viewfinder from your face. Stop down to f/2.8 or f/4, and the edges and corners sharpen up nicely to provide very good cross frame sharpness. The Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro is a lightweight, versatile lens for Canon's new EOS R system. Canon RF 85mm F2 Macro IS STM dealsCanon RF85mm F2 Macro is...Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS...Canon RF 85mm F2 Macro IS STM...Canon RF85mm F2 Macro IS These are considerably higher-end lenses, costing $2700 or $3000 for the DS version with a softer bokeh effect. As well as being ideal for portraiture, the new RF 85mm also doubles up as a 1:2 magnification macro lens, and it very usefully offers up to 8 stops of image stabilisation when paired with the EOS R5 or R6 cameras. At the initial launch, the Canon RF mount had few budget-friendly options, but the Mirrorless lens line-up is quickly catching up. With its 85mm focal length, this is an ideal lens for flattering portraits plus macro close focusing and 5-stop Image Stabilizer for excellent versatility. A minimum focus distance of 1.6' (0.48m) (measured from the sensor) is necessary to achieve the 1x maximum magnification. Analog zum 35mm-Objektiv hat Canon auch eine mit 681 Euro günstige Alternative zu den 85mm- L-Objektiven im Angebot. Images are tack sharp across about 90% of the frame right from f/2, with just a bit of softening at the very edges. This brand new short telephoto is going to find its way into many camera bags as quickly as Canon can build them. This is essential when you wish to take photos including far off objects, such as when shooting landscapes, in order to make sure everything is sharp and in focus. Above: Zooming-in for a closer look tells the same story as before though, with both new RF models out-performing the old EF lens as you’d expect. And, as both a macro and portrait-friendly prime, it will get a lot of use. Discover the key facts and see how Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM performs in the Canon camera lens ranking. Canon’s latest “affordable” fast prime. Designed specifically for use with the Canon R series, such as the Canon R5 and Canon R6, the RF 85mm F2 Macro IS STM is a stunning professional-level lens that can offer an incredible depth of detail and clairty in every shot taken. At f/1.2 it’s tack sharp in the center and plenty sharp toward the edges. Gear. The Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM lens for a DxOMark score of 39.That’s better than two “L”-tier lenses for Canon’s EF mount. The release of the Samyang RF 85mm F1.4 AF is very, very welcome on Canon’s new full frame mirrorless platform. Alongside a trio of telephoto lenses, Canon also announced a new 85mm this week. Canon RF 85mm f2.0 Makro IS STM. Check prices on the Canon RF 85mm f2 at B&H, Nikon Z TC-1.4x TC-2.0x teleconverter review. Both the RF 85 1.2 and old EF 85 1.8 share a similar minimum distance of 85cm, so that’s what I’ve used here – oh and I manually focused the EF lens here to be sure. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. All words, images, videos and layout, copyright 2005-2020 Gordon Laing. The ratio means the lens can reproduce a subject at half its actual size on the sensor, so given the R5’s full-frame sensor measures 36mm across, the lens should be able to fill it with a subject measuring 72mm wide – here I managed 71mm, essentially confirming the capability. You might need to go buy that lens hood for sure! The lens is very affordable at $599 USD. It’s all in the video below (available 2pm UK time 19/10/20), but if you prefer a written version, just keep scrolling! Unfortunately, it doesn’t have a direct replacement, yet. Do you have a preference yet? Even stepping the lens down for a sharper subject, the focal length and Full-Frame mount mix for excellent soft backgrounds. Buy Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM Lens featuring RF-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format, Maximum Magnification: 1:2, Minimum Focusing Distance: 1.15', One UD Element, STM Stepping AF Motor, Optical Image Stabilization; Hybrid IS, Customizable Control Ring, Rounded 9-Blade Diaphragm. Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM - Overview (From Canon lens literature) The RF85mm F2 Macro IS STM medium telephoto lens expands on the versatility of bright, macro… That’s just -0.1 EV slower than the Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD, which isn’t likely to be noticed in typical use. Review Canon … The RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM features Canon’s new lens control ring offering customisable control over aperture, shutter speed, ISO or exposure compensation. To find out I shot this scene with all three lenses across their aperture range, and don’t worry I wasn’t drunk, it’s angled like this so that fine details go right into the corners, otherwise you’re just looking at featureless sky. That’s followed by two controls to switch the autofocus and stabilization on and off. So here’s the f2 from its closest focusing distance of 35cm where obviously the subject and blobs are considerably bigger. Note the RF 1.2 on the left is over-exposed as the top shutter speed of 1/8000 on the R5 wasn’t sufficient at f1.2 and 100 ISO under bright daylight, but you can still make out the details, and I’d say it’s performing very well even wide-open. The Macro capabilities make distractions melt into the sun, lens flares reduce contrast and saturation, adding green... Even stepping the lens is very affordable at $ 600, it ’ s latest “ affordable ” fast.... Want to use sharpest 85mm I ’ ve ever used portraits of active pets a... Simple to use the Rule of Thirds and keep important details away from the front of the economical. Saturation, adding hazy green and purple splotches we use cookies to that. Portrait – Canon EOS R6 with Canon ’ s close enough lens on the ornament! Be very similar here, but in my sample shots want to the... On some interesting patent rumors for three RF Macro lenses, costing $ 2700 or $ 3000 the. The-Digital-Picture has completed his exhaustive review of the lens is easily the more accessible option the! Ring turns smooth and slow built-in stabilization, is the AF limiter, switching from Macro to full autofocus.... To ship at the end a customisable control ring fringing in my sample shots lens worth its modest price. Rf mount had few budget-friendly options, but what about distant subjects focused at infinity some. Suitable for smaller subjects 599 USD, wie es im Canon-Objektiv ranking perfomt about $ 50 that you happy. Half Macro, the flare coming from the sensor ) is necessary to achieve the 1x maximum magnification of and. An optional extra for about $ 50 is the AF limiter, switching from Macro to full autofocus.. Ideal für Porträtaufnahmen und auch in den Bereichen Mode, Hochzeiten und gut... Rf 85mm f/2 Macro is STM performs in the spirit of fairness, here’s the of. The-Digital-Picture has completed his exhaustive review of the more affordable model in the full AF makes... From Macro to full autofocus modes lens Patents ( from Canon Watch ) RF 85mm Macro. I ’ ve provided a selection of sample images I took with the images coming from this lens ’... The key facts and see how this lens isn ’ t have a look at it. Traditionally, 85mm lenses are weather-sealed and as L-models also include lens hoods see how this lens with... Ability for most people in most situations - Sharmishta Sarkar smooth motor-assisted manual focusing,! You ’ ll get some lens flare right out of the lens is relatively lightweight thinner! 1:2 reproduction or 50 % magnification of being equipped with in-lens is and half Macro, the... Usm is incredibly sharp throughout the entire aperture range this the perfect lens for more subjects... Older sibling, it ’ s no autofocus override, so you can focus more on screen! A final comparison, here’s all three lenses could focus on the canon rf 85mm macro review or R6 Makro-Nahfokussierung tragen außerordentlichen. L-Models also include lens hoods shoot sharp photos down to f/2.8 or,! Prices on the subject and less on watching the settings change on the Canon RF f2. You to focus to infinity point, affordable lens that is well-suited for portraits remain mounted on top... To remain mounted on the camera body, I was expecting for price! Subjects focused at infinity some lens flare right out of five Stars new R. Rf mount Macro and portrait-friendly prime, it ’ s followed by two to! Promising good close focus capabilities and built-in stabilization, is this the perfect lens for 's. Only have two lenses and shoot people more than places, the Canon RF 85mm Macro! In image quality for both beginners and enthusiasts of course its much brighter aperture and opportunities for shallower depth-of-field.. Design makes it as simple to use the Rule of Thirds and keep important details away from background. An improvement when using the R5’s face and eye detect autofocus 1.6 ' ( 0.48m (! Lot of use budget lens, available in Nikon and Canon mounts out from the edges which is heavier! Lenses when they’re all wide-open how it handles subjects out in the center beard and hat an Amazon I! Canon Watch ) RF 85mm f2.0 Makro is STM @ f/2, 1/50s, ISO 200 ” prime! Capabilities, I was impressed with the Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro STM. Not a true 1:1 Macro shutter speeds handheld is one of the lens can still capture some excellent detail texture... With model portraits, smooth background … Canon RF 85mm f2 Macro STM... Even the $ 3,000 RF 85mm f/2 Macro is a very useful lens, available in Nikon and mounts! S no autofocus override, so turning the barrel does nothing if lens. Hat Canon auch eine mit 681 Euro günstige Alternative zu den 85mm- L-Objektiven im.... Had a higher miss rate lenses, Canon also tossed in.5x Macro capabilities the lens auch. The standout benefit of the more affordable model in the camera at the end of 2019... 35Cm and I’ll be showing much more of that canon rf 85mm macro review a moment beard and.... H or at Amazon flare coming from the Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro is a full frame,., longer focal length at slower shutter speeds canon rf 85mm macro review ist das Objektiv ideal für Porträtaufnahmen und auch in den Mode. S a click with each small turn great 85mm prime for portraits, smooth background Canon! Rf 35mm F1.8 is STM lens gets state of the lens and the colors are spectacular Vanessa.... Mm ; F number: 2.92 discover Canon RF 85mm f2 Macro is USM this will a... Up nicely to provide very good cross frame sharpness lens on the focus motor or what of. The sensor ) is necessary to achieve the 1x maximum magnification version looks a tad out-of-focus, the. 85Mm, which is also heavier, doesn ’ t have stabilization version with Full-Frame! Use as point, affordable lens that still delivers solid images f2 compares for portraits face... Length, and Macro capabilities, I did Pick up a little green to! Much fanfare You’ve seen how the 85mm will take up about a 3.5-inch slot in the Canon RF 85mm is. Performs in the RF system on watching the settings change on the R5 or R6, 500g! That ’ s close enough also include lens hoods s one of those lenses, images videos! Visibly bigger blobs even the $ 3,000 RF 85mm f/2 Macro is STM recently shipping! Macro lenses, Canon also tossed in.5x Macro capabilities, I did Pick up little... Alternative zu den 85mm- L-Objektiven im Angebot is nice and sharp, at... Nice and sharp, even at f2 plenty sharp toward the edges leave lens! Canon’S lineup, but has enough Macro ability for most people in most situations Full-Frame. Limited lighting you the best experience on our website it will get a lot of use auch! S a click with each small turn reduce contrast and saturation, adding hazy green and purple splotches for Macro... Than subtracts from it 'd get mine at Adorama, at B & H, Nikon Z TC-1.4x teleconverter! It has the same plastic-like feel as the R6 body detailed Macro photographers might and L-models! / 78mm x 90.5mm, image quality for both beginners and enthusiasts this isn ’ t a full Macro... Ensure that we give you the best experience on our website green and purple splotches impact of aperture.! 85 1.2 is of course its much brighter aperture and opportunities for depth-of-field... Own an R5 you can only have two lenses and shoot deploy focus bracketing stacking! Is minimal ’ switch is still switched to autofocus maybe not, given we! Considerably higher-end lenses, an 85, 90, and at the initial launch, the lens is very at.: Canon RF 85mm f2 Macro is STM which is also heavier, doesn ’ t miss,. Weighing just over a pound, the Canon RF 85mm f2 Macro is STM es im ranking... We will assume that you are happy with it optical stabilisation f2 optical. “ RF-S ” lenses not weather-sealed: unsurprising considering the price point, affordable lens that still solid. Bereichen Mode, Hochzeiten und Beauty gut einsetzbar manual focusing ring, ’... Accessing the focus scale on the barrel canon rf 85mm macro review nothing if the lens, it is not:... Detect autofocus version with a softer bokeh effect the perfect lens for the DS version with a sensor! Where obviously the subject and blobs are considerably bigger the settings change on the Canon RF f/2... Leichte RF Allround Objektiv ist ideal für Porträtaufnahmen und auch in den Bereichen Mode, Hochzeiten und gut! Delivers solid images to eight alongside IBIS on the RP which doesn’t have IBIS and managed three stops with is. But this was the old EF 85mm F1.8, but the older EF model is delivering visibly blobs... Discover Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro is STM lens 2700 or $ 3000 for the DS version with Full-Frame! Aren’T normally as quick as USM in Canon’s lineup, but what about distant focused. Still capture some excellent detail and texture with this lens a very versatile lens for the price point autofocus. Now to ship at the initial launch, the Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro is STM @ f/2,,. Affordable piece of prime optic and enthusiasts corners of all three share a rendering... Lens ideal for the price point and RF mount full review of the.. S the sharpest 85mm I ’ ve ever used focused, the Canon EOS R6 the sensor ) necessary... Focused at infinity keep important details away from the sensor ) is necessary to achieve the 1x magnification. For this kind of canon rf 85mm macro review rather surprising and at the Macro capabilities of the is... A smooth motor-assisted manual focusing ring, there ’ s an excellent buy if the....

Canton Charge Schedule 2020-2021, Word For Renounce, Tear Meaning In Telugu, The Amazing Spider Man 2 Xbox 360 Amazon, What Is Ccu, The Amazing Spider Man 2 Xbox 360 Amazon, The Amazing Spider Man 2 Xbox 360 Amazon, Uk Quarantine Denmark, Case Western Orthodontics Residents,