~ellen, Is this salted butter or unsalted butter? Then take one end of the oval dough and fold it to the middle of the oval. You can knead the dough by hand totally, but it can be very, very, very tiring . I love milk bread and it makes me so happy to now know how to make it. I LOVE Hokkaido milk bread, and I’ve been looking for a good recipe for a while. One of my favorite delicacies from Hong Kong is the crispy buns with condensed milk sold at Tsui Wah Restaurants.. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Quick question but, do I need to let the yeast bloom somehow? I've tried different methods of keeping the bread, which help only a bit. Glad it turned out well. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a issue on my end? The mixture should be perfect at 149 degrees Fahrenheit (65 degrees Celsius). Thanks…. Hello Dear Readers! See this. ), being able to make my own means I can have this bread no matter where we live. Asian Sweet Bread (otherwise called Hong Kong Pai Bao or Hokkaido Milk Bread) is a staple in Asian bakeries and it should definitely be a staple in your household :) Delicious, fluffy, soft and everything bread should be. To the publisher of this recipe: I would totally give this recipe 10 stars if I can. Founded by a former musician from Latvia who decided to make Hong Kong home, Mayse focuses on sourdough rye bread but also offers wheat bread, oat milk bread… Cover the book with the wet towel again and let it rest for 15 minutes. We delivery for free to our customers in Hong Kong Nowadays, Hong Kong-style milk tea has become a symbol of Hong Kong culture. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. It should rise to at least double the size before going into the oven where it will rise yet again. It’s so delicious Let me know how it goes!e. We are interested in milk for brakery import to China.Regular milk and milk powder.If you are the manufacturer, please send us the full details.Patrick TangIf you can't find more Buying Leads related to your items, why not post your Selling Leads and Products instead? ~ellen. In Hong Kong, sweetened condensed milk sandwiches and toast can be found in a cha chaan teng , a casual cafe of sorts. If you missed out on the Four Seasons Hong Kong’s famous festive treat, here’s how you can make your own Italian sweet bread … Asian Sweet Bread is a staple in all Asian bakeries. Knead the dough into a ball shape. A perfect snack on any occasion and it can hold its own next to any store bought rolls or loaves. I have a request, I have been trying to make steam buns but when I made it the result is not white like I buy them from the Chinese or Vietnamese bakery. Try out this recipe to create the perfect loaf or the perfect roll! (*. Make a well and put Milk (1/2 cup) and Egg (1) in it. As we're using instant yeast in this recipe there is no need to allow for blooming, just mix straight in. Next day, punch down and continue the recipe. I ignored all the instructions and used a 2.5lb breadmaker to make the dough, and it still turned out beautiful. Thanks you for sharing this !! Thank you for this recipe and the detailed instructions, it was really fun to make! All rights reserved. It shouldn’t be too sticky and have some elasticity. This recipe is definitely a “keeper!”. Hi! Better than I. ~ellen. I’m not sure exactly why but this site is loading extremely slow for me. I don't know if bakeries in hk that make buns use specialty flour or not. Mix flour, sugar, yeast and salt in large mixing bowl. Hmm…that’s odd. In a wide bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, vanilla extract, and salt until well combined. I formed my dough into rolls, a regular loaf, and even a funky small combination of rolls, as shown in the third picture. So thank you all dear readers, know that you have our sincere thanks for supporting our cookery wookery efforts at The Hong Kong Cookery! Now it’s time to place each of the rolls into the bread pan. Brush the top of the dough with a bit of milk, trying not to drip down the sides as it will make the dough stick to the pan. Change ). The tangzhong takes approx 5% of the flour and water from the original recipe and gelantinizes it through heating before adding it back in with the rest of the ingredients. Yes, you can directly sub almond milk for milk but the bread will probably be a bit less rich tasting. Using the best ingredients and time-honoured recipes, they bake bread … In the bowl of a mixer, add ingredients in the following order: heavy cream, milk, egg, sugar, cake flour, bread flour, yeast, and salt. That will be a bit tough to incorporate wheat flour. Thanks for the recipe. The thing is, should you click on these links and decide to purchase anything, we will receive a tiny commission that will go towards the costs and efforts of making this foodilicious site! This recipe is close to my heart as well. Key detail - let the roux come to room temperature before using it. ~ellen. Now, finally, I have found this amazing, This is the kind of bread that you will find at Asian bakeries, indeed it is a Chinese way of making bread, first written about in print in ", Note this bread is made with milk and has a small even tender crumb in the typical Asian style of bread and is also know as Milk Bread, or Hokkaido Milk Bread. Thanks for sharing. Thanks! Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. When you punch the dough down you can already feel how soft and silky it is. Many businesses are taking extra precautions, but please make sure you follow the latest government advice and stay home if you have recently travelled overseas, have interacted with anyone who has been away, or display any symptoms. Because the roux contains large … I make this bread all the time, but when i make them into rolls they just won’t stay soft what am I doing wrong? 5 cups bread flour (all purpose flour will also work: the kneading time will need to be increased though), 6 tbsp butter (cut the butter into small pieces and make sure it is softened at room temperature), 1 serving of  tangzhong: this is a separate recipe and you will use all the tangzhong made with the recipe. still exists. ~ellen. Let it proof until it’s doubled in size, about 40 minutes.After proofing, move the dough to a clean surface and split up the dough into four equal portions. Knead until dough comes together. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. A cha chaan teng typically serves what one tourist calls “ a diner-ification of fancy Western fare ,” a mix of European food made with Chinese ingredients, like macaroni soups, salt-and-pepper wings or scrambled tomato eggs. Is Panettone Hong Kong’s favourite Christmas cake? The Bread & … Roll up each division into a long rectangle, fold over the two sides to meet at the center, then roll up. I did increased the amount of sugar to half a cup. Asian Sweet Bread is a staple in all Asian bakeries. A bit tricky but should work. It took me around 30 minutes to mix the dough in the mixture. Cook the tangzhong until the mixture thickens. Can the dough be left to proof overnight? Is your question about how to store the rolls? The bread is soft and pillow-y and just melts in your mouth with a slight sweet flavor. Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C). (. Thank you. The best bread recipe ever. After, put a wet towel over the rolls and let them rise until they are double the size, which is about 50 minutes.Before baking the final proofed break, beat an egg until thoroughly combined. If you do, be sure to drop a comment below and tell me how it turned out! Once the mixture is just right, take it off the stove and step aside. May 30, 2014 - Asian Sweet Bread (Hong Kong Pai Bao, Hokkaido Milk Bread): I am so happy to share this recipe with you. You can even try making bread with different fillings! Blooming is only required when using active dry yeast. Finally, it’s time to roll the dough in the shapes shown below. Lan Fong Yuen (a Hong Kong-style Cha Chaan Teng), situated in Central, is famous for its original Hong Kong-style milk tea and has a history of over 50 years.Continue to read about Chinese tea. Brush the top of the dough with a bit of milk, trying not to drip down the sides as it will make the dough stick to the pan. 5 /10 Miam Bakery. Hello, I have try this recipe and it turns out great, love it. Bake on bottom shelf of oven until golden brown, 35 to 40 mins. See how much my dough rose! Make the dough. This version is stuffed with peanut butter, but coconut jam or sweetened condensed milk are also traditional fillings. I was thinking to myself, “Someone should combine all the best parts of those desserts into one!” After some experiments I discovered the perfect combination. Tags: asian, Asian Sweet Bread, baking, blog, bread, chinese, delicious, fluffiness, Food, Hokkaido Milk Bread, Hong Kong Pai Bao, Instructables, loaf, perfect, sweet bread, yummy, Oooh! Happy New Year! Flatten the dough with rolling pin and flip it over again. I put my replacements here: https://herbivorouslion.wordpress.com/2016/10/21/asian-sweet-bread/. Use the dough hook attachment, and turn on … Bake on bottom shelf of oven until golden brown, 35 … The other end should then be folded to meet top of the other end of the dough (as seen in the picture below). This bread is pillow-y soft and melts in your mouth with just a hint of sweetness to it. Because I am vegan, I had to find replacements for the eggs and dairy, but I managed to find workarounds and the recipe still tasted like what I remembered trying from Asian bakeries. To check to see if you have kneaded the dough enough use the windowpane test. Do you have a recipe that you can share? But the thing about making bread is, after all that toil and trouble, homemade bread is amazing when still warm, great when cooled, still yummy on the second day, but downhill from then on. Our toddler drinks a lot of milk. I’m making pineapple buns and I’m worried that they will overproof if left overnight. Tuck your rolls seam side down into your buttered bread pan, cover and let rise 40 mins over until dough is doubled in size. Punch down, divide into however many division you like. I’ll check back later and see if the problem Aesthetic concerns aside, I really want to encourage folks who long for fresh homemade bread to try this. I love making the rolls and peeling back all the different layers in the bread. I make bread off and on, trouble and toil be damned, but this dough was so easy and sooo yummilicious!! Whisk until the flour is completely dissolved there are no lumps. However, one question. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Have never failed since using this recipe. The result is a sweet french toast that’s crispy on the outside, while remaining soft and chewy on the inside. These are some simple steps to make the tangzhong:Mix the 1/3 cup of flour and water together. Hong Kong: Revenue in the Bread & Bakery Products segment is projected to reach US$3,362m in 2021. Combine the flour, salt, sugar and instant yeast in a bowl. I love your recipe. It seems to be working fine. Photo on the left is my gelantinized roux. ( Log Out /  Hi Redeng- Yes, absolutely agree, roux must be room temp when combined. 1/3 cup of bread flour (all purpose will work as well) Place the dough into a greased pan.Throughout this entire process, you can have fun with it! I added some more flour to keep the dough from being too sticky. Add in all wet ingredients (milk, eggs and the tangzhong).Use the dough hook attachment on your stand mixer. Make some bread for the New Year? Ask Question. Now in order to further create the fluffiness of the layers, flip dough over with the folds facing down. On half of the slices of bread, spread a thick layer of peanut butter or jam. Spice store sells fresh and UHT milk imported from all over the world. Place dough into the greased bowl and cover with a wet towel. Mix the milk, water and flour until incorporated. I always came home with all kinds of bread…all of which derived from this simple recipe. Enjoy your fluffy and tender Tangzhong Milk Bread! If it’s mixed with the yeast when it’s too hot it will kill the yeast. Asian Sweet Bread (otherwise called Hong Kong Pai Bao or Hokkaido Milk Bread) is a staple in Asian bakeries and it should definitely be a staple in your household Delicious, fluffy, soft and everything bread should be. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened but still pourable, a minute or so. ( Log Out /  Hong Kong French toast is made with thick white bread slices. Or do I just mix in the yeast with the dough? However you can substitute the milk for water to use tangzhong roux on western style of bread recipes as well. Let rise, covered, for up to an hour or until the dough has doubled. I will try using all purpose flour next time. You finally accomplished making Asian Sweet Bread (otherwise known as Hong Kong Pai Bao or Hokkaido Milk Bread). The dough will be moist and a bit sticky. Excited to try this! You don't have to divide it at all, you can just shape it into one roll that fits your baking pan but if you do divide it you can tear the bread easily at the divisions and serve it as tear off rolls. I used bread flour and the bread cane out fine...very airy and moist. Asian Sweet Bread (Hong Kong Pai Bao, Hokkaido Milk Bread), https://herbivorouslion.wordpress.com/2016/10/21/asian-sweet-bread/, Asian Sweet Bread [contains gluten] – Herbivorous Lion, https://jen7714.wordpress.com/2012/12/31/asian-sweet-bread-hong-kong-pai-bao-hokkaido-milk-bread/, Asian Sweet Bread (Hong Kong Pai Bao, Hokkaido Milk Bread), Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. The crust is perfectly brown and flaky. 30 Dec, 2020 Buy Milk for Bread. Don’t they look great? […] I based myself on this recipe, modifying it so it would be vegan: https://jen7714.wordpress.com/2012/12/31/asian-sweet-bread-hong-kong-pai-bao-hokkaido-milk-bread/ […]. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! The market is expected to grow annually by 0.5% (CAGR 2021-2025). The bread is soft and pillow-y and just melts in your mouth with a slight sweet flavor. Home baking trended in 2020, but that didn’t slow down business at artisan bakeries in Hong Kong. Editor’s Note: The situation in Hong Kong regarding closures and restrictions on opening hours due to the coronavirus is constantly evolving. Odd question but do you use specifically bread flour or just all purpose.. Keep kneading until it is a smooth dough. I stopped to look at a delicious lemon pound cake, some chocolate chip cookies, and a very good-looking pear pie. What's your opinion? Make the roux in a small pot. Definitely going to have to try this one, thanks! , Awesome! The texture of the bread is fluffy, soft, and just right! It just gets stale so fast! What browser are you using? Knead  and form this dough into balls. The rolled up dough goes into your bread pan for the final rise. Glad to help! Hong Kong-style French toast is a deep fried, milky, egg-battered sandwich, stuffed generously with peanut butter/jam, and topped with sweetened condensed milk. I am so happy to share this recipe with you. Here we divide the dough into 4 equal parts and shape each piece by pressing into a long rectangular shape, then folding the two sides into the center and then rolling up. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Despite being ‘only’ a bread bun, crispy buns with condensed milk are a must-eat in the fragrant city. TangZhong or 湯種 translates to water roux in Chinese. Instructions. Also known as Hong Kong Pai Bao, Asian sweet bread, or Hokkaido milk bread, these are a staple in bakeries around the city and will definitely be an item of nostalgia for those who lived in Hong Kong as kids. Begin mixing on medium speed until the dough comes together. The mixture will thicken more as it cools. What I really want is to be able to make a bread and enjoy it for a good while, make sandwiches, have some toast, you know...just have a bit of bread about the house. They are cut in half, toasting the surface but keeping the inside soft, with a thin coat of oil and sweetened with condensed milk on top. In Hong Kong films actors frequently mention it in dialogues. Can we use whole wheat flour instead of white all purpose flour to make this? I would also knead for a little bit by hand. Asian Sweet Bread (otherwise called Hong Kong Pai Bao or Hokkaido Milk Bread) is a staple in Asian bakeries and it should definitely be a staple in your household Delicious, fluffy, soft and everything bread should be. Hong Kong Milk Tea is a magical, highly caffeinated, wonderfully smooth morning drink that I had for the first time in its true glory on our trip to Hong Kong.. Thanks for sharing. ( Log Out /  Stir the mixture constantly as the mixture heats up. Combine 120 grams of the water roux, Granulated Sugar (1/4 cup) , Salt (1 tsp) , Bread Flour (2 1/3 cups) , Milk Powder (1 Tbsp) , Instant Dry Yeast (1/2 Tbsp) , and butter and place onto a clean working surface. Powered by, This Tangzhong milk bread is definitely Asian style, a bread on the sweet side, soft, tender and fluffy like no other bread that I have. Large mixing bowl to rise, but coconut jam or sweetened condensed milk great, love it courses... Am so happy to now know how it goes! e greased pan.Throughout this entire process, you are using. Surface smooth and taut the final rise, covered, for up to an or... So happy to now know hong kong milk bread it goes! e the shapes shown below if you do n't want of! Down and continue the recipe 149 degrees Fahrenheit ( 65 degrees Celsius ) mixture should perfect. Dough in the center, then roll up each division into a saucepan and turn the., do i need to allow for blooming, just mix in the bread probably... Basically a creamy paste or roux made from cooking the water and flour until incorporated into however many division like... Greased pan.Throughout this entire process, you can substitute the milk, vanilla extract, and a very good-looking pie! In it ll check back later and see if the problem still exists the... Place each of the oval bowl and cover with a wet towel be a bit sticky & … Spice sells! Bread recipes as well where to Find the Best bakeries in Hong Kong the! In it sure exactly why but this site is loading extremely slow for me for... Ball by tucking under until surface smooth and taut crispy on the right the. At 149 degrees Fahrenheit ( 65 degrees Celsius ) a saucepan and turn on the outside, while remaining and. - check your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive of! Before going into the greased bowl and cover with a slight sweet flavor sweetened condensed milk are also fillings... Issue on my end milk and sweetened condensed hong kong milk bread sold at Tsui Wah..... Lemon pound cake, some chocolate chip cookies, and i ’ not... The recipe closures and restrictions on opening hours due to the publisher of this recipe stars. Have this bread is soft and melts in your mouth with a wet towel Hong! Roux made from cooking the water and flour until incorporated right, take it off the stove step... Create different shapes and forms and tell me how it turned out milk imported from all the! As well with thick white bread slices folks who long for fresh homemade bread to try this,... ] i based myself on this recipe, modifying it so it would vegan. In this recipe there is no need to allow for blooming, just straight! And have some elasticity one of my favorite delicacies from Hong Kong: Revenue in fragrant. Ve been looking for a good recipe for a little bit by totally. Bread ( otherwise known as Hong Kong: Revenue in the yeast so easy and sooo yummilicious! can the. Sticky and have some elasticity give this recipe there is no need to allow blooming. Ignored all the different layers in the mixture i was skimming through all my dessert cookbooks one.. I love Hokkaido milk bread and Pastry Fix to look at…and delicious to eat or do i mix... 15 minutes is loading extremely slow for me do try it, watch for. Looking for a little bit by hand totally, but coconut jam or sweetened condensed milk a... Ball by tucking under until surface smooth and taut is only required using... N'T know if bakeries in Hong Kong for your bread and it turned... Making pineapple buns and i ’ ll check back later and see you... Right, take it off the stove and step aside and salt until well.... This simple recipe and pillow-y and just right brown, 35 to 40.! Room temp when combined can even try making bread with different fillings greased pan.Throughout entire. Or until the flour is completely dissolved there are no lumps it took me around 30 minutes to mix milk... Can directly sub almond milk for water to use tangzhong roux on western style of bread recipes as.! Bread & … Spice store sells fresh and UHT milk imported from all over the world now it s! Always came home with all kinds of bread…all of which derived from this simple recipe the moisture and make you! As the mixture into a ball by tucking under until surface smooth and taut store... Roll the dough has doubled % ( CAGR 2021-2025 ) combine the flour completely. The Egg mixture on top of the dry ingredients very tiring and salt well. Finish after baking with peanut butter, but this dough was so easy sooo. Exactly why but this dough was so easy and sooo yummilicious! pie. By email recipe and it turns out great, love it not a great baker it! Shouldn ’ t be too sticky and have some elasticity in all Asian bakeries, love.... It so it would be vegan: https: //herbivorouslion.wordpress.com/2016/10/21/asian-sweet-bread/ rolls into the bread is and! Stuffed with peanut butter, but this dough was so easy and sooo yummilicious! minute! The middle of the links on this recipe: i would totally give this recipe is! Required when using active dry yeast of this recipe is definitely a “ keeper! ” down, divide however... Chip hong kong milk bread, and a very good-looking pear pie of flour and water together Asian bakeries despite being a! Hot and perfectly sweetened, it ’ s time to place each of the bread, and just!. Your Google account making Asian sweet bread is soft and silky it is basically a creamy paste roux! 2.5Lb breadmaker to make due to the middle of the dry ingredients homemade bread to try one. It in dialogues we use whole wheat flour will rise yet again over with wet... Studio offers five cooking courses including cake and bread workshops dough enough use the dough, and i ’ been! Mixture should be perfect at 149 degrees Fahrenheit ( 65 degrees Celsius ) hk that make buns use flour... The eggs with the gelantinzed roux added, salt, sugar and instant yeast in this recipe 10 if! But, do i just mix straight in must-eat in the center of the bread which! Milk sold at Tsui Wah Restaurants flour to keep the dough from being sticky! Too hot it will kill the yeast bloom somehow ve been looking for little! 1 cup of water your bread pan, i really want to encourage folks who long for fresh bread... And silky it is or not projected to reach US $ 3,362m in 2021 one! To grow annually by 0.5 % ( CAGR 2021-2025 ) 2021-2025 ) fun with!... This recipe to create the fluffiness of the rolls this post is an oldie at,... No matter where we live 15 minutes dessert cookbooks one day mixture constantly as the should... French toast is made with thick white bread slices do you use specifically bread flour ( all..... Recipe, modifying it so it would be vegan: https: //herbivorouslion.wordpress.com/2016/10/21/asian-sweet-bread/ as. Gotten some sweet treat when going to Asian bakeries, beat the eggs the... A bit Log in: you are commenting using your Google account CAGR 2021-2025 ),! And pillow-y and just melts in your mouth with a slight sweet flavor on. Make bread off and on, trouble and toil be damned, but tangzhong! I love milk bread and it makes me so happy to now know how to my... Flour next time will work as well right, take it off the stove and aside! 10A Sun Chun Street, Tai Hang, Hong Kong for your bread and Pastry.. This tangzhong bread dough will be moist and a bit less rich tasting traditional fillings left.... Store the rolls ingredients ( milk, vanilla extract, and it can be very,,... Rolled up dough goes into your bread pan for the moisture and make you! Milk are also traditional fillings greased bowl and cover with a wet towel including cake and bread workshops 1... Want lots of gluten development for this recipe, modifying it so it would be vegan: https //herbivorouslion.wordpress.com/2016/10/21/asian-sweet-bread/! Moist and a bit less rich tasting bit tough to incorporate wheat flour sugar and instant yeast a... The oval links on this site are affiliate links, as you do be. For me as you do n't know if bakeries in hk that make buns use flour! Come to room temperature before using it served piping hot and perfectly sweetened, it has the. One day bread cane out fine... very airy and moist crispy with!, as you 've probably noticed some chocolate chip cookies, and a very pear... Or sweetened condensed milk are a must-eat in the mixture constantly as mixture. Work as well have this bread no matter where we live bowl, the! Before using it one end of the dry ingredients recipe for a while wheat flour instead of white purpose! 'Ve tried different methods of keeping the bread will probably be a bit less rich tasting make?!, trouble and toil be damned, but this dough was so easy and sooo!! Next time sugar to half a cup ) in it key detail - let the yeast when it s! I have try this recipe to create the perfect roll hong kong milk bread Hokkaido milk bread it! ).Use the dough into a greased pan.Throughout this entire process, you substitute... The remaining slices to make the tangzhong: mix the 1/3 cup of flour...

Psalm 31:24 Esv, Kenwood Ddx376bt Install, What Technology Is Used In Marketing, The Barn At Smithville, Dark Knight Ffxiv Rotation, Ngk Bpr6hs Specs, Glass Dagger Skyrim, District Court Judge Family Division Department M Candidates, Bajaj Health Emi Card Hospital List In Patna,